Monday, May 15, 2017

Professional Cleaners

Those of you who have read my blog in the past realize one thing.  I believe that we as cleaners are an under recognized bunch.  I often mention the story from my youth of when I was 19.  Young and foolish I guess, I mentioned to my grandfather that I didn't want to be a salesman.  His career of 58 years was all spent in sales in one capacity.  So I am sure when I heard this from him that he might have just been a tiny bit offended.

In what was definitely a teenage moment I said to him. My father has told me that if I want to take over his business some day that I will have to learn to sell.  By learning to sell he meant doing so for 10 or 12 years before I started to learn the intricacies of management.  In my infinite wisdom I countered with.  I always wanted to own my own business or be a professional.  

Immediately I knew that I had ruffled feathers by his response.  "Chris, what do you mean by professional?  Are you saying that you want to be a lawyer?"  Yes I said.  Or a Chemical Engineer or maybe an Architect.  "Chris you have it all wrong!" He told me.  "No matter who you are, no matter what you do, as soon as you receive a paycheque for your work efforts.  YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL"  A little surprised but clueless nonetheless the conversation faded off into his aches and pains.  

A few years later as I was training a group of cleaners I heard a voice say, "If we are expected to do this we are going to have to get paid a lot better.  What do they think we are doctors and nurses?"

The moral of the story:  If you like what you do.  You will make more than just great money as any professional should.  You will make yourself and those around you incredibly happy.

No comments: